Saturday 19 September 2009

Twitter Experiment

I've noted lots of people have started to add me to the list of followers just after a post. I'm assuming these are happening from keywords in my posts, which begs the questions:

a) why
b) how

One can only assume that the why is because if I follow you there is a good chance you will follow me. This can lead to an inflated ammount of followers but are they really useful? I guess if you have enough followers (aka listners) it could be deemed a powerfull tool and not just an ego nursing exercise. So I think I'll test this with a new twitter account on a subject which is more of a hobby to me than anthing else right now, poker. Rightly or wrongly I'm probabley just going to leave this as an automatic update system for now but I think it will be interesting to see how many followers I can get from using a service such as twollo (the how).

Twollo was supposedly developed in a day for $150 but appears to be a paid for service after a free trial, so this may be a pretty short test, but none the less I think its with a twirl.

ps. next I'll be testing out OutTwit Retweet this button on every post blogger

3 comments:

  1. Ended up using twitterCom from riaforge. Pretty easy to use and implmented an autofollow in 14 lines of code.

    ReplyDelete
  2. 5 days in and these are the stats:

    2,001 following
    295 followers

    How many of these would be useful followers... probabley not that many

    ReplyDelete
  3. Due to ratio's a bit of data cleaning with this is required as there are ratio constraints with twitter accounts (i.e. following vs followers). I opted for http://huitter.com/

    ReplyDelete

 
Bookmark and Share